Chili-Espresso Rubbed Ahi Tuna with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
4 8-oz, about 1.5 inch thick tuna filets
1 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP Espresso powder
1 TBSP Dark brown sugar
1.5 TSP garlic powder
1.5 TSP onion powder
1.5 TSP Cayenne pepper
Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
6 slices fresh pineapple, cut in rounds about 1/2 -3/4” thick
1/3 cup fresh tomatillo, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, diced
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of One Lime
1. For tuna, mix all dry ingredients together well. Lightly oil fillets and coat each piece well with spice mix. Let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Heat grill to high heat and brush grates lightly with vegetable oil.. Sear tuna 1-2 minutes per side until nicely browned and middle is rare/medium rare.
3. Grill pineapple slices until nicely carmelized on both sides.
4. Coarsely chop pineapple, mix together with tomatillo, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime juice, and sea salt to taste.
5. Serve tuna fillets topped with grilled pineapple salsa.