Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amelia Island FL fishing??
wnyBob
post Dec 15 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,365

Iím going to Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach Fla in Feb and Mar. That is just south of the GA border and north of Jacksonville. Other than surf fishing which I hear doesnít get very good or consistent until working your way through March depending on the weather, does anyone know of the inshore fishing opportunities around Amelia Island? In looking at the map it looks like there is the Amelia River, St. Marys River, Bells River, Egans Creek, Lanceford Creek all of which makes Amelia Island the Island. Since it will be my first time for an extended period I donít even know if those rivers and creeks are fresh water flowing to the ocean or brackish up to a point because of the tide. So Iím looking for some chances to get out fishing and donít even know for what or where. Any direction or tips will be appreciated.

+Quote Post  Go to the top of the page
Rayzor
post Dec 15 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 33

If you're not comfortable with a 7-9 ft tide differential, get a guide. This isn't an easy fishery, unless you know the "when's, where's and how's" in a detailed way. I have learned to LOVE it up there, but not before spending many, many hours on the water,...learning.

IPB

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson

Growing old,..an inevidibility. Growing up,...purely, an option :rock:

wnyBob
post Dec 15 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Rayzor @ Dec 15 2010, 01:50 PM) *
If you're not comfortable with a 7-9 ft tide differential, get a guide. This isn't an easy fishery, unless you know the "when's, where's and how's" in a detailed way. I have learned to LOVE it up there, but not before spending many, many hours on the water,...learning.

Thanks. Getting a guide isn't a problem. I almost expected to. I wouldn't even know what I was fishing for if I found a place from shore to fish. What do you fish for there, inshore in a boat with or without a guide? What's in season or generally caught in Feb and March? I'll be a newbe at saltwater and don't mind admitting it. lol Gotta start somewhere. Am I assuming right that it's salt water right around the island then brackish so far up river? How far up river before there is fresh water? Any place up river or near by inland lakes with those monster Fla bass you read about?

Capt Steve
post Dec 15 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #4

Angler

Member No.: 19

Go to Leaders and Sinkers Tackle store and ask Don the owner to hook you up with my friend Harvey Cox. he will put you on fish, he and I learned a lot when I lived up there.

Capt Steve

wnyBob
post Dec 16 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Capt Steve @ Dec 15 2010, 08:54 PM) *
Go to Leaders and Sinkers Tackle store and ask Don the owner to hook you up with my friend Harvey Cox. he will put you on fish, he and I learned a lot when I lived up there.

Capt Steve

Thanks Capt Steve. I'll visit that tackle store shortly after we get there.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2017 - 12:33 PM